Monday, August 16, 2010

What's the Point?

Al Mohler, the President of the SBC Southern Seminary, wrote a very clear and important article on the new lines being drawn for Biblical Inerrancy. The scholars of the BioLogos ilk are arguing that the Biblical writers made clear errors. This, in and of itself is nothing new. I'm even ok with it. What I'm not ok with is the pie-in-the-sky (or head-up-their.... well, you get the idea) view that this in no way impacts the life of the church. They, like Bultmann, believe that we can go on, just like normal, if what we once believed to be the one standard for life and faith is now no more true than Romeo and Juliet. Here is what you get, though, you get churches that look so much like the world that no one has any desire to go. You get a gospel that is not revealed and is not exclusive. You get a form of hinduism/universalism. If our one rule for faith and life is just as full of human error as any other book, then why bother? What is the point? They might be able to entertain themselves with participation in an event where they create their own meaning, when church is no longer the participation of the Gospel among the people of God, but it is rather an enactment of the human story. They might keep themselves entertained, but I would want nothing to do with it.

6 comments:

  1. "the Biblical writers made clear errors. This, in and of itself is nothing new. I'm even ok with it."

    What do you mean you're OK with it? You're OK with heresy being promoted as if it were just normal?

    You're concern seems to be more pragmatic than doctrinal, and I think that's disturbing...assuming I read you right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I read you right either. It's either all right or all wrong, based on 2 Timothy 3:16.

    Otherwise, I'm certainly in line with your statement that these churches that look just like any other movement in the world today, so much so that they have no message whatsoever, are all to common. They have much to do, but not much validity to their doing.

    Surely we're in the end times, with these churches being such a majority, preaching works and service with none of God's grace or Christ's work on the cross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you don't and that is my fault. I'm saying that I'm ok that they disagree with my view of Scripture. I'm saying that I whole heartedly believe they are in error, but what I'm REALLY not OK with is that they are pushing the idea that it doesn't affect anything. You see, someone comes out and says "The bible is full of errors, and because of that, you need to change everything." On a fundamental level, I totally agree with them: IF the bible IS full of errors, then yes, everything needs to be changed. This would be the honest approach. What is not honest is to come out and say that it is full of errors but that that doesn't really matter.

    If people thought that this idea actually had implications in their everyday life it would not be as far reaching (IMHO). But sadly, some will think that taking on evolution, and the naturalistic worldview that it requires, will not impact their lives one bit (contra Keller, sadly).

    I'm sorry for my shoddy communication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zack. Thanks for your comment over at my blog.

    I figured that was probably your meaning. Some good insights here.

    No troubles. Sometimes things get lost in translation over the internet.

    Thanks for clarification.

    Zaphon

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You get a gospel that is not revealed and is not exclusive..."

    I completely believe that the gospel is revealed in our inclusion of people.

    God is inclusive, not exclusive.

    @Pooka - Perhaps Jesus meets those who find their faith in works and through grace, by way of the Cross blesses the work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Patrick -

    Brother, I hope one day you and I see things eye-to-eye, but I will never agree with a statement such as yours that so blatantly goes against scripture. Jesus makes MANY exclusive statements "No one may come to the Father, but by me." etc. Christianity is not a faith-life big-tent. A Christian is one who repents of their sins and trusts on the historical event of the death and resurrection of Christ to pay the penalty of their sins.

    Please, allow scripture to change your heart and mind, and fight against our natural desire to force scripture to condone and agree with everything that we desire.

    ReplyDelete