Friday, January 6, 2012

Rest and Psalm 3

    O LORD, how many are my foes!
        Many are rising against me;
    many are saying of my soul,
        there is no salvation for him in God. Selah
    But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
        my glory, and the lifter of my head.
    I cried aloud to the LORD,
        and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah
    I lay down and slept;
        I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
    I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
        who have set themselves against me all around.
    Arise, O LORD!
        Save me, O my God!
    For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
        you break the teeth of the wicked.
    Salvation belongs to the LORD;
        your blessing be on your people! Selah
(Psalm 3 ESV)

I read this during my quiet times the other day and there were a couple things that struck me. David says he cried aloud to the Lord and then it says that [the Lord] answered me. What was the answer?

David's response to this answer is to sleep. The Lord sustains him through the night. Not only is David protected, but he is given the nourishment and restoration that only sleep provides. This is what the peace of the Lord looks like.

Next, we read David describe his (current) enemies as many thousands of people and that they are set all around. David slept with many thousands of enemies set all around him.

How often do you look for the peace of the Lord in changed circumstances? Do you sleep in the midst of your enemies? Do you think peace is only when there are no enemies left? Will you have the faith to sleep when it appears you are doomed?

Ultimately, Salvation belongs to the Lord, and we see that in the cross and resurrection of Jesus. The enemy of sin was struck on the cheek and his teeth were broken. Death's sting has been destroyed, and he will ultimately be vanquished. You will only have the peace of David if you have faith in the sufficient work of the True David. This peace let's you sleep and be nourished by the Lord in the midst of great trial, because he's already won it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment